22/07/2013

Hunza - Portrait Study of a Chai Wallah

This portrait is based on a man I photographed in the Hunza Valley, which is located along the Karakoram Highway.

Hunza Man (Study 1), 29.7 x 42 cm, Mixed Media on Paper.
An expressive portrait by Slikor, based on a chai wallah in the Hunza Valley of Pakistan, using watercolour ink and charcoal.

After hiking to cross a frozen section of Attabad Lake we stopped in a village. One of the people who I was lucky enough to travel with asked if I wanted some tea.

The chai wallah was in a small shed-like structure and had a solemn face with strong characteristics.

Hunza Man (Study 1), detail.
An expressive portrait by Slikor, based on a chai wallah in the Hunza Valley of Pakistan, using watercolour ink and charcoal, detail section.


In this study I've broken some basic conventions of watercolour painting. I wanted to find a way to push the expressive portrait further and also a new way to make layers of meaning that match my ideas.

I always like to hear what people think. So feel free to leave your opinions or questions in the comments section.